Friday, April 24, 2020

Equestrian Pole Club on Facebook


This is a fun group I recently found on Facebook.  I enjoy seeing other people’s triumphs and enthusiasm and there are tons of ideas for different placement of poles, raised poles, and gymnastic lines.  Jet doesn’t really like to jump that much, but he doesn’t mind poles, so we have been doing more as part of our warm up every ride.

Things I have discovered:

*that swingy back and blowing through the nose pony comes really early on after a few times through the trot poles

*raised walk poles really make him pay attention and articulate his hocks

*adding poles every ride but also alternating rides between mostly working gaits or mostly collectibility work has led to much better out of the box working gaits and less tense collectibility days

What are your thoughts on poles?  Favorite exercises or placement?

4 comments:

  1. I love poles so much. I recently picked up a used copy of Reiner Klimke's Cavalletti book for cheap too. I set lots of different distances, some raised, some on the ground. Really helps loosen & supple everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have that book, I'll have to go dig it out! Was just thinking today when riding that maybe Ingrid Klimke's horses are so swingy because of all the pole work.

      Delete
  2. I am doing pole work a lot and I’m really enjoying it. I love this group.

    ReplyDelete