Thursday, June 11, 2020

Racism in the Equestrian World


In the aftermath of George Floyd’s murder, many equestrian bloggers I follow have had profound things to say about systemic racism in general and racism in the equestrian world specifically.  L. Williams of Viva Carlos so you want to be an ally  and Amanda of $900 FB Pony the concept of privilege  and right here among us are particularly good examples of confronting structural  racism in general but also delving into the unconscious white privilege and casual racism of a very white sport.  There have been a multitude of articles about Brianna Noble woman we all need , Black Cowboys black cowboys, and too many articles to link to about African American people who ride in various disciplines despite all the difficulties.  Because, you know, they love horses.

I don’t really feel I can write anything better than L. Williams or Amanda, but as someone who is multiracial but looks more like my white ancestors, including the ones on my African American side, I can assure you that racism and white privilege are alive and doing well, thank you, in the equine industry.  The shit people have said in front of me for the past 40+ years, perceiving me to be white, would make your hair stand on end.  As I have gotten older and more confident, think late teens, I started calling people out on their casual racism, but quite frankly I felt more comfortable to do so because most people don’t perceive me to be multiracial.  I have essentially lived a life of white privilege while also having a grandpa who was a Tuskegee Airman.  A weird dichotomy.  He was my absolute role model growing up, and he and my grandma were the light of my life as a child and teen.  I have a completely different life experience from people who are perceived as African Americans, but being the grandchild of high achieving AA grandparents who were intellectual, liberal, and the hardest working, most decent people you would ever meet, has given me a bit of a glimpse into different worlds.

Anyway, I could write endlessly about my so awesome grandparents, and my life experience of being multiracial, but that is not really the point.  The point is VOTE.  The point is EDUCATE YOURSELF ABOUT SYSTEMIC RACISM AND WHITE PRIVILEGE.  The point is CALL OUT CASUAL RACISM WHEN YOU SEE IT.  The point is SPEND YOUR $’s AND ONLINE TIME WITH THOSE WHO BELIVE IN INCLUSION AND DIVERSITY.  The world is changing rapidly(though not soon enough!) and every statue that is toppled, every law governing acceptable police conduct, every base that is renamed, every racist that is publicly shamed and fired, and every racist policeman that is prosecuted, brings us closer to a world my grandparents would be so happy to see.  



4 comments:

  1. I agree with this completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never forget the first time someone (who was white) offered to "n****r-rig" something for me. I had no real response because my brain just shorted out as I thought, "wait, WHAT? did he just really say that??" while I just stared at him going, "uhhhhh....I'm good, thanks," it took me about an hour to fully process that. It was clearly just a casual, meaningless term to him as he was just offering assistance in what he thought was a friendly, humourous tone, but was just another example to me how integral to our everyday culture racism is. Language has power & even "small" things like reshaping word choices can have such a big impact on shifting perceptions.

    ReplyDelete