Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Finally the Dressage Half-Halt Explained by Susan E. Harris


Like most riders I have struggled with the half-halt.  Many, many different descriptions and explanations have come my way and sometimes I would accidentally get it but then not be able to recreate it consistently.  Not any more.


I previously did a post about the wonders of Susan E. Harris’ free FB page that is full of information but I thought I would specifically post on her explanation of the half-halt.  It is that good and that important.


Obviously this all her copyright material but since it is available free on FB and I do not monetize this blog, I thought it would be ok to share with my three readers.


I think the most important thing in this description that is also a how to, is the level of detail and nuance.  From a half-halt that is a very slight center and grow to one that could emphasize a lot of leg or elbows/shoulder blades down.


I have gone over this “lesson” many times in the past few days and started incorporating the various types of half-halts during short sessions with Jet.  And WOW.  I’ve got a deeper seat, Jet’s shoulders are lifted, and we have had a couple of just yummy feeling half-halts going from trot to canter where Jet actually got shorter in his body, his shoulders lifted, and the transition was sublime.


I’m still thinking a lot about this and how it fits into the Dressage Naturally framework.  


I’m slowly bring Jet back to work and incorporating versions of the half-halt in all sort of different instances.  So fun and feels like a big layer of the onion!


What do you think?



















2 comments:

  1. I will have to go back and have a thorough read, but it looks interesting. Its funny how 3 different people can explain the same thing 3 similar but slightly different ways and we dont get it until the 4th person comes along and tells us pretty much all the same stuff, adding a few words, changing a few others or leaving them out and all of a sudden we have that light bulb moment when everything just clicks and makes sense. This after we spent copious amounts of money in training and lessons trying to figure it out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it-the one explanation that clicks with you and BOOM you get it after many other explanations. Honestly, I pick up so much from other people's blogs...

      Delete