Monday, January 25, 2021

TRT Method Young Horse Modules


I’ve blogged before about using the TRT Method to help with Jet’s spooking and fear issues and also to expand my understanding of Natural Horsemanship techniques.  I really think the only reason I have been able to successfully show such a reactive and nervous pony is due to the knowledge I gained from the program.  Cruiser is a very different horse, naturally curious and extroverted, much more likely to walk towards anything scary and try to explore it.  As part of getting him under saddle I put him through the groundwork and tools TRT module and it was easy peasy.  If anything he is so non reactive that it’s kind of hard to get him fearful enough to teach him to self sooth.  


Because he seemed so easy, I logged into the TRT website for the first time in a long time to brush up and realized a ton of content has been added including a starting a young horse section.  It is quite comprehensive, starting with the groundwork, then adding the tools, then going on to specific exercises I have never seen before to make your horse more balanced, coordinated, and confident before you ever sit in the saddle.  It has been a revelation, especially in the use of horse “yoga” from the ground to help with all of the above.  There is no unbalanced running on a lunge, instead it is all about changing the horse’s posture online and directing the feet and shaping the body.  With a heavy dose of Tristan Tucker’s genius about how to read horses, how to structure lessons, and how to set up for each step for success.


Even though I have already ridden the Cruiser 10-12 times this fall, we are working our way through the young horse modules, improving our groundwork(with and without tools), improving his posture, and setting ourselves up for ease when I start riding him again in the spring.  The work has really improved his focus and coordination and has been perfect for daily 10-15 minute online sessions during the colder winter months.  We’re about halfway through the starting a young horse section, so the timing should work out well to get him back under saddle with the warmer weather in spring.

I’m so glad I spent the money way back when for the TRT lifetime membership and I love the value of so much new added content on specific areas of interest.  What online programs have you successfully used?  Do you prefer the monthly access fee model or the one time payment model that costs more in one lump sum but gives you lifetime access?









6 comments:

  1. This is so exciting and I can't wait to use it on my next horse (not that I'm shopping but will be in a couple years). I paid for the lifetime membership and I am very grateful for it. I paid it over a few months and it was totally worth it. I love that I can pop in and brush up on something and then not for a bit. I've been enjoying the flying change modules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed by how much new content has been added since the last time I logged in. I'm starting to think the one-time larger payment is the way to go...

      Delete
  2. Sorry but I've got nothing on this one. My pony went rogue a few days ago and I'm still trying to figure out what happened. It's so out of character for her. She wouldn't even let me catch her to bring her in to eat and usually she meets me at the gate if not running across the arena to come in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's hard when you don't what's going on with them. Hopefully it resolves soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a young ... 6 now.... Polish warmblood. She went rogue. It took a lot to figure it all out but mostly she was in pain and I did not realize it. She came with swollen soles of her feet= penicillin. An abscess in the shoulder or forearm= meds, vets and time. She was a sweet yearling. We spoiled her. Then Covid caused me to work way too hard. I retired. A bovine virus had gotten in her white ears. It was painful like a fever blister.= home made antiviral cream and hours getting her to stop banging me with her head. It is still wonderful when I can manage to get the bridle on without taking it apart. I decided her feet were thin soled so shoes. = four blacksmiths later I finally get her trained to hold still. She loves her blacksmith now and loves her shoes. She is 6 now. Now she bowed a tendon on the slippery, to her, cement in the barn.= bohrium, and time. She wont tie and is afraid of walking in the woods with me. She panicked about riding too long= TRT method. I think she is doing very well now but I am traumatized. A friend rides with me and I have not made her work yet. I just sit on her. She likes that. If I ask for work she will trot a circle or two then put her head down and not move. So far I am reading it as ok she has had enough. We have been consistent for a few weeks now. She is improving everyday. The bowed tendon has gone down, does not seem to hurt but still swollen. No hurry. I have been waiting a few years now,

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops forgot to mention spit walls of her feet, white line= supplements and fungus meds and a good farrier cutting it out.

    ReplyDelete