Monday, August 15, 2022

Lesson 6 Recap





Had a great lesson with Cruise yesterday, especially considering that we’ve missed or had to do shorter rides between lessons with ring construction and somewhat deep footing in the new ring.  He had couple of moments of being up in the beginning with horses seen moving around through doors and etc. but he lowered his flag pretty quickly and got to work.  I was super pleased with his focus.  For something different I thought I’d show you what I wrote down in my riding diary.  I usually try to list 3 positive and three things to work on in my diary for each ride.  I’m drifting though, towards more of a sequential short recap right now.



Sunday lesson SW

Super L and GW 

US quiet and super

Great halts from seat on loose rein

Pubic bone up and back armpits down me

Watch nagging with seat doing smaller/more complicated figures

TOF get flexion at standstill first THEN hind legs

LY haunches to wall it’s ok if he slows down, walk out after good steps

Trot circle slightly on forehand, almost walk then trot on OR sit a few steps

Sitting trot pubic bone up more bear down

LYs at trot posting or sitting on circle then up 1/4 line sitting

On 1/4 line LYs think of cereal box corners being pulled on a diagonal line

Free walk thighs on, clapper leg, pay attention to beginning and end, give inside rein first then outside-reach into?


Lots of homework to work on over the three weeks until our next lesson.  I’m also going to be lunging more and working on prompt canter departs so we can get a canter under saddle installed this fall.  Might be exciting!

4 comments:

  1. A horse that can be amped up and then settle and go to work is a great horse to work with. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! We'll see how things work out when it gets really cold though...

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of three positives and three things to work on. Keeps it focused. I admit I had to go back and read it again to figure out the shorthand. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have ambitions on three things but I always seem to write a partial recap. New Year's resolution?

      Delete