Thursday, July 23, 2026

A Few Gems

 



As I was going through my clinic notes from March and July of this year, I found a few gems that I thought you might like.  Enjoy!


Aids to request or to restore but never to maintain.

On using aids-as little as possible, as much as necessary.

Look forward to your future!

Belt buckle to turn-matching the horse's spine.

Transitions make the horse but only PROMPT transitions.

Spinach before sugar.  Ride like a trainer, doing tricky thing, easy thing, tricky thing.  For example, Cruise's harder side is tracking right, so any exercise or figure going right first, then left, then right again.  You'll be shocked by how often you do the opposite during your rides unless you really think about it.

Not just physically on the line of travel but mentally on the line of travel.

Make the horse own the correct posture or position so you aren't constantly filling in holes.

It's the horse's responsibility to maintain whatever energy/speed/tempo you have set.


Of all of these, spinach before sugar is the hardest for me to consistently do.  I'm already seeing big payoffs though, in his way of going being much more symmetrical right and left.  See what I did there?

No comments:

Post a Comment