Thursday, February 22, 2018

Release into the Transition




As I wrote about in my review of Dressage Naturally here, I try to watch at least one DN video a day.  I am not even close to running out of videos because I tend to watch some of them over and over trying to understand exactly wtf is going on. There is so much theory and rider/horse biomechanics involved, that it really takes several viewing to get everything.  Watching a video on transitions for the zillionth time the other day I had a revelatory moment.





Jet is going great.  Relaxed, balanced, and somewhat energetic in his work.  However, the somewhat is the problem.  Relaxed is now easy-peasy for Jet but when I want more energy, say for a tiny bit of collected work or lengthens, sometimes we get some tension.  Especially when we do harder transitions or I am really picky about the quality of the transition.  Nothing huge, just a little bit of tail swishing, but not quite right.  Less effortless and a little more cranky.  Instead of releasing into the transition like Dressage Naturally recommends, mostly I felt like I was trying to create the transition.  Hence the crankiness.  Jet does not like over-riding.




Watching the video on transitions yet again, the lightbulb went on for me.  If your horse is relaxed, balanced, and energetic, to do engaged transitions, the rider just builds up a little energy and releases it for the transition.  Primarily using the seat and body aids with the reins just for connection.  In order for the transition to be a release though, the rider has to be holding back the energy a little with the seat/stomach muscles.  So far so good.  What I have been missing though, is the fact that the horse ALSO must be slightly more sitting in the balance and in the correct tempo.  By checking that the longitudinal balance is correct (usually by sitting taller and feeling the hind feet) and the tempo is correct(usually by going slightly slower) before adding a little energy, the magic started to happen.  Effortless transitions in perfect balance all with the seat.  Power without tension.  Who knew adding a couple of simple refinements could make such a huge difference?









No comments:

Post a Comment