Thursday, March 8, 2018

Can't See the Forest for the Trees or Straightness Revisited



Sometimes in my dressage journey I feel just like this pony.  I could see perfectly well, if I would just have the common sense to get my bangs out of my eyes.  Seriously.  Jet has been going well, better energy with less tension and better transitions, but still feeling a little crooked maybe or just not in the outside rein?  Something?  Anything?  Anyway, the three new monthly videos dropped on the Dressage Naturally video classroom  HERE a few days ago, and all became a bit more clear.




Two of the three videos were about the basic alignment exercise, which is explained a little more in depth HERE and HERE in previous blog posts.  Apparent I am a little dim, because in those posts I covered the same material as the new videos, but I somehow forgot some of the more salient points.  Again, bangs.  Anyway, the premise of the basic alignment exercise for straightness is that the place between all the crooked places is the straight place.  So instead of trying to hold your horse in alignment, say on the circle, you go PAST the straight spot to the other crooked spot and then go back to neutral.  After doing this a few times neutral ends up being a lot straighter and the rider works a lot less.  The horse also is more free in his whole topline, uses both hind legs more evenly, and can push and carry much more effectively.  The new video Karen did uses the visual of a crooked pool noodle (representing the naturally crooked horse) that is overbent to the other direction to end up mostly straight when released.  Really powerful visual and again, I can't recommend the video classroom highly enough(I think it is something like $12 for the first month), and soon as I watched the video I knew exactly what I needed to do.



So, I did my normal training ride but added the basic alignment exercise at the walk and trot.  After a few minutes Jet was much straighter in active neutral, swinging much better through his back, and more energetic with less effort.  A few days later he is straighter in the lateral work, sitting better for slight collection, and swingy and soft in the back and in his attitude.  Everything feels easier, he is much happier because he is straighter, and it is not so hard for him to push and carry.  I feel stupid, because I already knew the answer 18 months ago but couldn't see the forest for the trees because I forgot all about using the BA exercise.  Better late than never though, right?  Next up, how the basic alignment exercise relates to lateral work.  





No comments:

Post a Comment