Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Bit-less in 2020


I follow, more or less, a lot of the principles of Dressage Naturally.  I am not really a rigid follower though.  I do a lot less ground work, freestyle(loose reins or bridle-less), and bit-less work than many.  However, I think it is really important to check in with all of these periodically to make sure Jet is working mostly off my seat and energy, and in balance without being held up by the reins.  I use these things less as a training technique and more as a test of lightness and harmony.

I like to check in over the winter in my teeny tiny indoor a few times with bit-less to see how it compares to the current work with the bit and also because I think Jet enjoys the feeling.  I use the Micklem set up like above.  His face always cracks me up when I bridle him and the bit is gone.  You can almost see him smile.

Anyway, yesterday I did my first bit-less ride since last winter and WOW was it a surprise.  Our last bit-less ride in winter 2019 was fine but definitely much less balanced than with the bit.  Obedient but not as through, with stretches that weren’t quite as good.  I went into this ride expecting something similar, but to my surprise everything was just as good as with the bit.  Both ways.  Super stretches and thoroughness.  Great walk canter walks.  Possibly better halt rein back trots, with more energy because he feels a little less restricted without the bit.

What a nice surprise and validation of where we are in our dressage  training.  Mostly though, I enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment that this sensitive, sometimes hot, little horse is so willing and works so hard for me even without a bit.  He is such a good boy.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture! My guy has developed a melanoma right in the corner of his lips, so whatever future riding we get up to will have to be bitless. We love our Miklem. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to be clear, that is a stock Micklem shot used for bit-less promo, not Jet. He wishes he were so glam! It is really nice with the Micklem to have the option of bit or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With my previous pony Izzy I used a bosal (hackamore) for western dressage. We ended up doing more of our dressage work in the hackamore & western tack than traditional English tack with a bit.

    My new pony this has yet to be seen. With her wolf teeth out and the wet weather, I haven't been able to ride in a while. I'll be trying her again with the bosal along with the French link. It's always good to try both ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, experiment and see what works best for each individual horse. Sometimes too, you can learn a lot about what's going on with your training from the set up they don't go as well in.

      Delete