Saturday, August 31, 2024

Accepting the Contact and Bit vs Being on the Bit


This little VIDEO really succinctly explains the difference between acceptance of contact/having a following contact and being on the bit.  Basically, the horse has to have acceptance of a following contact and then being on the bit adds another layer.  Starting at the trot in a accepting/following contact the rider asks for forward and then catches that forward delicately with the ring fingers.  Leading to that circle of energy and engagement of the hindquarters with a slight flexion of the jaw.  Forward but not forward if you will.  Another way to describe impulsion maybe.


I’ve tried adding this into my rides after a loose rein then following contact warm up and WOW.  It takes a few times to get the burst of forward then adding that delicate not forward leads to the magic.  Engaged.  Light.  Balanced.  What we’ve been missing.  I’ve been surprised by how instant Cruise’s forward has been and how lightly I can contain the energy.  And how he easily floats around after a couple of these. 


This explanation reminds me a lot of Jane Savouie’s connecting half halt but gentler and much more subtle.  I really like this YouTube channel and Josie’s down to earth explanations.  Just wish I had run across this video before I taped my last three tests…

No comments:

Post a Comment