Monday, October 23, 2017

Fall Plans



I love this time of year even though I know the artic blast of winter is on its way.  Crisp mornings, beautiful trees in full fall color, and minimal grass to mow, what's not to like?  Well, except for super furry horses that need to be body clipped(again!).

Now that showing is over for us this year, I've been thinking about our fall training plan.  We normally ride every other day, so 3-4 times per week, and that will stay the same.  The weather is usually much more varied in fall, so my full size grass dressage court is not always available due to soft ground.  I try to avoid riding full time in my teeny tiny indoor until totally necessary, so I have added in raised walk cavalletti, trot poles, and also a lot more "field" dressage all over my farm.  My dressage court will still be on and off usable probably through November/December, so we will also be working on using the principles of Dressage Naturally to improve the suppleness, transitions, lengthens and energy(amazing how those go together!) and test riding the First Level tests.  Hopefully, the weather will cooperate and we will get in some video of improved tests with a pony that is uphill and not behind the vertical.

Anyway, nothing too exciting, but a bit of variety for Jet(boy, was he surprised at that first set of trot poles!) and lots of hacking out through the crunchy leaves with woodsmoke in the air.  Bliss!  What are your fall plans?




No comments:

Post a Comment