Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Partnership over Technique


I’ve been thinking a lot about why I am not more upset about the holes in my training that the Pivo has shown.  Obviously, I would be thrilled if everything were perfect but the fact that some things have come to light that I really need to fix, has left me rolling up my sleeves and getting on with it.  Poll not the highest point.  Change of posture for me.  Fixed after 4-5 rides.  Lack of circle of energy/shoulders lifted.  Prioritized energy exercises at the beginning of every ride.  Fixed in 1 ride.  Curling behind vertical at free walk and stretchy trot.  Changed my posture when asking for these by keeping my vertebrae stacked but making space between them and not slumping forward.  Looked great in the mirror day 1, but will need several rides to confirm.

I could go on and on with the examples, and will at length in future posts, but the point is I didn’t freak out when things did not look perfect on my first video.  Instead I thought to myself, even though things aren’t perfect, Jet is pleasant in his work, excited when I walk in the barn door, and generally seems happy in his life, we can fix all of this stuff.  Now, some of this has to do with him being a very food centric quarter pony and also the fact that he is a pleaser, even keeled gelding whose first thought is always “What do I need to do so I can get a cookie and rest a leg.”   Since I am the bringer of food and giver of treats he is really into me.  But still, I think there is more to it than that.

The Dressage Naturally system prioritizes partnership over technical skills.  So if your half pass is perfect but your horse has tension, doesn’t like his job or his life, and the technical is not truly harmonious, that is not considered optimal.  Instead the foundation of everything is partnership and harmony.  Lots of putting yourself in your horse’s hooves.  Games and groundwork, rewards and releases with some dressage thrown in.  The first objective though, is always a willing partner.  So, if that means doing less dressage and more trails or poles or groundwork or whatever, that’s what you do.  Always thinking about the horse.  Pushing the edge a little one ride but then consciously taking it easy or doing something different the next session.  Being good with the idea that this horse and this rider might only get so far up the dressage levels and that is ok.  Prioritizing partnership over technical achievements while still pursuing advancement and gymnastic development of the horse.  I fully subscribe to this way of thinking and it has really changed how I approach training and horse in general.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. One if the things I try to look for in pics or video of my riding and driving is not only what I'm doing wrong and need to fix, but what I'm actually doing right or good and confirming it's ok and I don't have to worry about it anymore. I used to struggle with my lower leg and hands- then when I seen in pics they're both fine- I could let it go. This comes as a huge relief with everything else we try to focus on and fix. Look for the good too!

    The part about the Partnership I know people who struggle with this. Their horses aren't happy doing Job A, but by gawd I can make them into the best- fill in the blank... They may love their horse but this really isn't doing either of them any good. Life is too short for us and our horses to get stuck in a rut like that. Great post!

    ReplyDelete