Thursday, September 30, 2021

Field Trip


Cruise took his first big field trip last Saturday.  We went to Twin Towers Horse Park, which is a lovely public facility about 55 minutes from my farm.  TT has outdoor stabling, two sand dressage courts with judge’s huts, a huge enclosed oval show ring with elevated seating /judge’s stand, and a cross country course that winds all around the rings.  A lot to look at for an inexperienced pony.  

Cruise hauled great, there and back, and overall was such a good boy to hand walk everywhere.  It was a little windy and cold so that made him a bit up but he listened to me and became more and more focused on me as he settled.  We used the TRT yoga plus a ton of targeting and I have to say I love having the tool of targeting scary objects to help with relaxation.  We also did a fair amount of 3-4 steps of back to head down on voice command and I’m loving that as well.  The scariest thing for Cruise was a lady walking a huge GSD in the far distance.  Not an unreasonable thing to look at and I’m thinking I can have the husband recreate the dog on a lead in the distance for some further training.

All in all, I was super pleased with him, and even more pleased when he stood quietly on the trailer in the crowded and loud Sam’s Club parking lot while hubby did the weekly shop.  We have kajillion more of these trips to do before he is properly desensitized, but this is an excellent start and hopefully we will get in a few more  before winter has us in her icy grip.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's a good start. The road seems really long right now but we will get there ☺️

      Delete