Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Reality Check


So, last we spoke things were hearts and rainbows here on EDB farm.  We had a lesson working on forward from a light leg, trot poles to an X, and got some steps of canter in the lesson and on the next day.  All was good.  Then came ride three using the same principles.  And it was a S$#&show.  Tense, spooking, some assorted bucking.  Very uncharacteristic.  Eventually, after many walk poles and tons of turn on the forehand, leg yields, and walk trot walk, he was able to trot quietly through the trot poles without an X.  The next day was better with a longer lunge, tons of walk poles, and lots of figures and exercises before we did some quiet, nice trot poles to end.  Ride five I used the same buildup to trot poles and then, because he was quiet through them, added the X which he promptly booted and scooted after.  After lots of trot work figures we went down through again a couple of times and even though he didn’t canter after the poles he was civilized.  Ride six was quiet mostly, until my neighbor started doing things in his front yard.  When I turned at the trot to go towards the trot poles Cruise launched himself into the air and I had the thought that this is it, but after a few seconds realized I still was in the middle with my stirrups intact.  So, back to the cowboy circle we went, then on to figures, trot work and eventually the trot poles.  After several times quietly through the trot poles, he cantered civilly away once and we quit on that. 

I decided we needed to change tactics a bit and after a day off tried riding with no poles in the ring.  He was tense from lunging him on.  Mouthy in the groundwork and pretty tense and rude under saddle.  I kept at it and eventually found something good to end on.  Walk trot walks, I think.  Anyway, not a raving success as a reboot.  I thought a bit about what the problem is and why he is acting out.  I think he is truly offended to be pushed forward and gotten after for not moving forward from a light squeeze.  He’s all laid back and easy until pushed and then he gets angry, pissed, and tense.  Add in the new found ability to f$&# around and you have a recipe for tension and bad behavior.  It’s good to know a canter under saddle is in there, but with pretty cold weather a few days away, in the interests of ride-ability, I think I need to back off the trot poles to X for a while.  I think I also need to work on gradually improving his responsiveness to leg, not by continually getting after him but by asking for a bit more increasing over time.  Also, I need to go backwards on the groundwork in my ring.  Start out with walking around and any tension gets the stop, back, head down treatment, and then when he has settled adding park.  I think lots of walk poles and single trot poles are also in our future.

So, with the new plan in mind, yesterday I did a groundwork session in a halter, with Jet loose in the field, just working on stop, back, head down, go, and park.  Really thinking about his focus being on me(hard with Jet roaming around) and lack of tension.  He did surprisingly well.  Then a couple of hours later I did the same thing tacked up but no Jet.  Then I hopped right on with no lunging and worked on the same things.  Stop, go, park, steering, and his focus being on me.  We then progressed through our regular flat work routine.  I prompted him to move more lightly off my leg a few times but not nearly as much as previous rides.  He was better off the leg, still not perfect, but much less offended.  All the work, including the trot, was relaxed and pretty forward.  He was really just excellent.  I think that this is the path that will lead to a more rideable horse through the colder weather.  I’m sad to not keep working on the canter but I think we need to tackle forward from a light leg with no resentment first and then work our way back to single then multiple trot poles and an X.

Two steps forward, one step back-what has been your experience with green horses?





6 comments:

  1. I am trying (unsuccessfully) to remember how old Cruz is. There is this 'you're not the boss of me' phase that horses go through. It sucks. That said, jane often says to be 'build the trot' with the idea that you take the smaller and work on moving it out. That does work for Carmen (now) but I had to first get after her. But she's much older and knew better. :).

    the other thing that occurs to me is that his saddle might not be as comfortable now. Always worth checking but it sounds to me that you are on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think we are officially in the "you're not the boss of me" phase. Basically we've had an agreement that I won't push him out of his comfort zone too much and that he won't be dirty and tense. I think SW is right about where he needs to be but trying to do it immediately doesn't seem to be working. I think getting him settled back down and then gradually improving his responsiveness to leg is the way to go with cold weather coming. I will check his back as well, I hadn't thought of that. TY!

      Delete
  2. Bridget went through this, badly. If you're at a stage where you can add fun forward stuff (poles/cross poles, a canter on the trail behind someone else) it helps. With B little jumps and poles that she found fun and that rode best in a canter redirected things from our "I don't have to!/you'll do it because I said so" argument :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its tough when we get to the sticky spots. We dont want to push too hard but at the same time we need to push enough... Casey is starting under saddle work too. It's interesting at times. When she stops I ask for a turn to break her loose and get moving again

    ReplyDelete