Saturday, January 28, 2023

Balance Through Movement Method & the Three Pillars


As I talked about in my last post, my initial foray into the BTMM was last spring with the FB Masterclass.  The Masterclass is a series of guides including videos, pictures, write ups, and posts.  It is not a step by step how to, but more of an exposition of the theory behind the method with lots of real life examples.  This second time of going through the guides, videos, and posts I feel like I got things more because there are many more supporting materials and examples.  It is not however, a step by step of exercises that you can quickly breeze through and implement.


There is a good general explanation of the methodology and theory on the BTMM website HERE and the link to purchase the Masterclass that is hosted on FB.  Right now, other than the Masterclass, some in person clinics given by Celeste and some of her approved instructors, there is also the option for virtual one on ones.  My understanding from the website is that there will be online academy classes for a nerve release course, the pillars in hand, and then under saddle pillars this spring and summer.  Another great learning opportunity is to check out Celeste-Leilani Lazaris’ personal FB page that is open to the public, where she does a fair amount of posts on explanations of theory and biomechanics.




The base of the method is the three pillars that must be present for the ridden horse to function in correct biomechanics.  I don’t want to go into detail because it is Celeste’s work to explain and profit from, but I thought I could do a generalized overview.  The first pillar has to do with the relationship to contact and being able to turn on and off certain of the horse’s muscles.  The second pillar has to do with the center of gravity of the horse at the standstill and in motion.  The third pillar has to do with spinal integrity, the horse being able to abduct independently, and be able to do a curved line correctly.  The pillars build on each other and are simple, but take a while to get right and then to build up strength.  When the in hand is solid then the same exercises are started under saddle.  Everything is done in a sympathetic manner and is a little more like gentle physical therapy than slamming the horse through a series of movements.  The idea being that any riding horse in a ridden horse sport should have the three pillars as a base and then split off into a specialty.

Of course if your horse has nerve impingements from a collapsed thoracic sling, foot issues, or any of a host of other problems you would implement a more complex supporting plan but the pillars would still ultimately be how you would eventually rehab them into correct biomechanics.

 I feel like I am learning so much from this Masterclass and continue to be blown away by the wealth of online learning opportunities available.




6 comments:

  1. I love Celeste's work. I think my favorite aspect of it is that the experts are adamant that it is a horse guided physical therapy, which is why there isn't a formal "how to". I dived into the Masterclass last March and it has completely changed the way I look at, and interact with, my horses for the better. I had the opportunity of taking Katherine Lowry's (she's the biomechanics expert of the group trainers) course over the summer plus schedule two 1:1s with her before her prices increased. I have been riding with dressage principles for the last 15 years, either as cross-training or as my primary sport, but working with Katherine was a mind-blowing experience, not just because of the fact that I was taking a lesson in real time with her in Arizona while I rode at our barn arena in Maryland, but also because of the next level of feel that she instilled in me through the phone camera lens. I've learned more about equine anatomy, physiology and biomechanics in the last year than in my previous 32 years of equestrian experience combined! It's awesome to see others discovering all of this too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started her masterclass this month. I had listened to a few podcasts with interviews with her before I jumped on the master class. I'm an equine bodyworker, and just listening to her talk I kept going, oh wait duhhhhh that makes so much sense. Like I've stared at the anatomy before, I work with it on the regular, but she kinda added that final piece that went, "holy shit this all makes so much sense why this does this and why this sucks and this works!" Super excited to keep diving into it, glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really feel like this is a missing piece for a lot of horses and riders at all levels. I also really like how the Masterclass has expanded the guides to include videos from experts in hoofcare, saddle fitting, and etc. that tie into the concepts of the pillars. Good stuff!

      Delete
  3. There is Always so much to learn! Always. I'm glad you post the things you do as it gives me insight of the different programs and helps me choose which ones may benefit me at this time. Thank you for this!

    While I may not focus only on dressage, there are so many principals of it that apply to everything else and improve the horse- so why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a bit "Look Squirrel!" about different training ideas and riding techniques but I love that the internet has opened up so many different ways of doing things.

      Delete