Monday, July 24, 2023

Moving on to a Treed Saddle


Not much excitement here.  Took a lesson a couple of weeks ago that went well.  We introduced a couple of other horses during the lesson and worked on habituating Cruise to traffic.  Mostly we spent time on being passed at the trot and canter and generally on focusing even though there are other more interesting things happening.  The WE clinic was last weekend and unfortunately we didn’t go.  Massive thunderstorm were forecast and I decided discretion was the better part of valor.  SW has a nice smaller indoor but only 10 or so stalls.  When it thunderstorms all the horses have to come in and any visiting horses have to go in the indoor.  Because of the schedule and the timing of the storms I thought it might be a bit much.


So, on to more exciting stuff.  I’ve thought for a while that I could really use the confidence and support that a treed saddle gives, especially on such a big moving horse.  I’ve been researching saddles for a while, bought a lower end but highly rated dressage saddle and returned it, and finally decided to rip open my wallet and buy a a Bates Artiste.  I was attracted by the reviews and the adjustability of the saddle.  The gullet is changeable, it has a shimming system that is integrated in the panels, and it is a monoflap with a deep seat.  For the rider the stirrup bars are adjustable for three different positions and the external thigh blocks are completely adjustable but by screws not by Velcro.


It seemed to fit him right off the rack in a medium gullet and he has gone beautifully in it for several rides.  I love the leg position, security, and general feel this saddle gives.  Everything is easier.  I’m still playing with the adjustments for the rider, but so far, I love that feature.  Time will tell, of course, but so far no back soreness and much improved performance from both of us.  Cruise measured right at the edge of a medium gullet, so I think he will need to eventually move up to the medium wide with some back development from more canter work.  I figured even if I need to eventually move on, since you can’t find one of these things used, the resale value should be ok.

How have your saddle purchases and saddle fittings gone?







5 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by that saddle too! It looks lovely. Is yours wool or air flocked? We're booked in with the fitter in a couple of weeks to reevaluate choices - I've been on the 'close enough because it fits my horse' train forever and tired of saddles that don't fit me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is air flocked and I think??? that is the only way the Artiste comes. I'm amazed by how much it changes my position and how much more with the horse I feel.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I'm going to add it to the list of ones I'd like to try. The adjustability of it super appealing to me

      Delete
  2. I have a Schleese, I bought it for L and recently had it adjusted to fit Dee. I like the one I have, I still don't 100% believe it is the perfect fit, and I really don't like point billet systems unless the horse has a serious pony bod, but seeing as I already own it, might as well. Plus it was cheaper to have it fit to the baby that buy a new one. It's comfy and L loved it, but I just don't get 100% warm fuzzies putting it on her because I get some snappy behavior, but once it's on she's perfectly happy so cautiously chalking it up to baby behavior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. It's so hard to tell what's a fitting issue and what is green behavior with a baby.

      Delete