Thursday, September 3, 2026

New Saddle, a Mild Colic, and an End of Summer Update

 




Things have been ticking along.  I've been riding Cruise 5-6 days a week with auxiliary lunging, in-hand work, and a lesson every week or so.  I feel like we are making real progress on our homework, including swaying in the flexions, a smooth reverse pirouette both ways, improvement in the counter bending, and generally with him being more responsive under saddle.


I still felt like something was missing for both of us though, and decided to test ride an EQ Saddle Science Frankie.  I've had the saddle about a week into a two week trial, and so far everything has been seamless, from measuring him myself, to the shipment and Google Meet video fitting before my initial ride.  So far I am in love.  See a quick shot from my second ride HERE.  I really like how this saddle positions me with my legs more underneath me, it's so much easier to sit upright, and Cruise seems to love it.  The flapless thing is really cool and makes me feel closer to riding bareback with all the security of having a tree and stirrups.




In not so great news, Cruise had a mild colic  about 3 weeks ago.  It resolved with oral Banamine and light lunging but confirmed my suspicion that he might be working up some ulcers.  He'd been a little low appetite for him and had dropped some weight after the clinic in July.  I'd been wondering about ulcers and the colic confirmed it in my mind.  He's been on Gut X for a little over 2 weeks and it's been kind of amazing.  Appetite back, gained 50 pounds at least, and dappling out.  Amazing stuff.


Anyway, that's the update for now.  We've got the Pippa clinic in early October to look forward to and hopefully some cooler Fall weather.  What are you and your ponies up to as we head into the season of pumpkin spice and crunchy leaves?

No comments:

Post a Comment