Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Sitting on Your Elbows




An interesting rider position visual came up in a recent Dressage Naturally video.  Sitting on your elbows to improve upper body stability and core engagement.  The concept is that by riding sitting up tall in your regular position but adding in the idea of your elbows getting heavy and reaching toward the ground, think elbows making grooves in the footing, almost like you're sitting on your elbows instead of your seatbones, everything gets easier.  This sounded pretty intriguing to me, so I gave it a whirl the other day.




Wow, what a difference! How did I not know this?   Just this one visual made my collarbones open, pulled my shoulder blades down, put my arms by my sides, and engaged my core while keeping my hips loose.  Jet went so well and I found myself with "brain space" to think about other things because my position was so tuned.  This is supposed to help with smaller, more precise figures, lateral work, and transitions and boy did it!  By adding so much more stability without stiffness it is much easier to balance the horse and effectively ride the harder work.

Try it and tell me what you think.





No comments:

Post a Comment