Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Cruiser Update


I’ve had the Cruiser for a little over 4 months and as you can see from the above photo, he continues to be uber friendly and your basic pocket pony.  He has adjusted to life in the Midwest nicely, though he would like a refund for the weather as he did not sign up for sub freezing temperatures and OMG the white stuff falling from the sky.  Even though he has a very nice Horseware winter rug it is definitely an adjustment coming from sunny California.

He has learned a host of baby horse things in our four months together including TRT Method ground work, voice commands on the lunge, how to stand still for grooming, baths, and the vacuum, and quiet field walks all over our property.  He also bridles himself(he is a tart for a sugar cube!)by my holding out the bridle and stands quietly to be saddled.  We got to about 9-10 of walking under saddle with my husband leading and me in the saddle.  He is super chill for on and off, stop, and a bit of a pony kick walk on.  I would have liked to have gotten further but the cold weather came and since he’s definitely more reactive in the cold(see above about the weather adjustment) I think it is smarter to wait for spring to continue with under saddle work.

In the meantime he needs some work on his balance and transitions on the lunge line, we have started basic ground driving and will continue with that, and he just needs to mature physically, I think.  He has gained about 150 lbs. and a ton of muscle and coordination but I think he still has a lot more to come. 

Anyway, reading this, I realize that the boy has come along nicely in just four months.  Looking at where other people are with their 3 year olds I feel a little behind, but I have to remind myself that he is a late 3 year old(birthday in August), very leggy and immature looking, and that while we are going slowly we are building a nice working partnership.  Mostly to his credit, as he has the most friendly and lovely temperament.

Looking forward to what 2021 brings with the Cruiser and turning him into reliable transportation before we start to think about Dressage and showing in 2022.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think you will regret going slow. I think that this is one of those things that fits the saying "you can't afford the time to not take the time".
    I think everything he's learning is wonderful. You know that when you really are riding him that he has a strong foundation and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words! It's been a while since I've started a horse from scratch and it is easy to start second guessing yourself.

      Delete
  2. You guys have come a long way in a short time. Kudos! It never hurts to take your time and do it all right and correctly the first time around. It sure beats having to go back later on and fix things or habits that never should have started to begin with.

    Don't think at all that you have to wait to think about dressage, you know that it starts in the long lines where he learns to balance himself and everything else. While he may seem to be behind the others in progressing now, with the ground driving and long line work- when you do get on him and get to work, you will find he has either caught up or surpassed them. Personally I wouldn't worry about comparing him to others anyways. There are a ton of other factors to consider and where other horses may be in full work and way ahead now- they may also be under more mental & physical stress, pushed too fast/ too hard and may suffer the effects later on. Some horses can take it and some can't. I would rather have a sound and sane horse for the long haul than a superstar at a young age that's a burned out, brain fried cripple by their mid-teens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some really good points! Especially about the pressure on some young horses and using ground work to improve balance before real under saddle work. I know I shouldn't compare and need to keep reminding myself I want a sound sane horse that can do a little dressage. Thanks for your kind comment!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like Cruiser is coming along nicely. If he is a late bloomer and has some time off to mentally mature you will both benefit in the long run. The only reason I would be concerned how he compares to others his age is if he is a resale project- then it might make a difference in pricing him accordingly. Otherwise there is no set standard they should know a, b, c by this age so you're Gucci.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good point about resale. I think I am just second guessing myself since he is the first horse I have started post some natural horsemanship education and without any interest in resale. I just need to trust my instincts more and take my time. Thanks for your input!

      Delete