Last we left off, my vet had done spring shots and teeth on both, and a lameness exam on Jet. Cruz had terrible looking edges and hooks that got fixed and he will be rechecked in 6 months. Jet came up mildly positive on the left stifle and right hock, with the vet thinking there might be some back issues as well.
The chiropractor is pretty busy, so it took a week or so to get him out to the farm. And the finding were kind of unexpected.
Basically, Cruz was out all over the place and had quite a few major adjustments. The chiropractor wants me to keep doing what I am doing with him and recheck in 8 weeks to see where Cruz is alignment wise. Post adjustments he has been more forward under saddle which is interesting.
Jet had very little on the hind end and a few mild things on the front end. This sort of negates my theory that his hind end lameness originated with a back issue.
The funny thing though, is I rode Jet lightly right before the chiropractor visit to get a baseline and he felt fine. After talking with the good Dr. I think I am just going to put Jet back in every other day work and see what happens. If he stays serviceability sound, then I have a decision to make. Do I keep him at this level of work with no showing but no joint injections or do I push to show one more year and do more medical interventions? Not sure how it will all pan out, but at least I have a plan and a baseline.
What have you done as your older show horses start to need more maintenance? Drop them back in work or do all the interventions to keep them going as long as possible? It is a tough decision.