Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Recap Lesson 8



(Cruise is unimpressed but did snuggle with SW when I got off)


It had been a month since our last lesson when we hauled out this past Sunday.  With the weather colder, but our rides at home going really well, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect.  Cruise was a bit up getting off the trailer but stepped out politely.  Same with walking the arena and saddling, up but still mostly listening.  I started lunging him with side reins and from the moment I clipped them on, through lunging, then groundwork, then under saddle he was all business.  From the moment I got on he was listening, trying, and much more focused than he has ever been at SW’s.  I think a month of consistent riding in the outdoor ring and learning to focus a bit more has really helped his maturity.  Also, I’m feeling more confident in him after riding through close neighbors doing yard work, the neighbor’s many little dogs yapping at the fence right next to us, and the busy road with loud trucks going by at the top of my ring.  Riding in an enclosed indoor, even though it is off my property, feels easy.


(Look at that tail and love the purple vest against his coat color!)


We decided to do a “recap” lesson to make sure everything is on track and add a horse in again next lesson.  SW wanted me to get pickier about TOF and TOH and the flexion needed in both.  She also introduced me to a cool spiral out to spiral in counter-bending exercise that is going to be really useful for moving his shoulders.  After some wavy lines and steps of sitting to get him a bit off his forehand at the trot we moved on to walk and trot poles.  SW says he is ready for canter and I agree.  She likes to use poles to help them step into the canter and we started the process at the end of the lesson.


(The raised poles were a challenge at first for him)


Sunday lesson with SW:

*Said my balance point and sitting up look good

*Need to keep my leg closer to girth for sideways-at girth for go

*I think I need to work on walk to trot transitions-energy exercise?

*TOH TOF both need inside flexion-flexion before leg on TOFs-watch TOH when getting inside flexion/bend that I don’t lose haunches to outside 

*Wavy lines in true and counter bend in walk and trot to get him forward and in balance-using his core, lifting his shoulders, and letting his hind legs underneath 

*Trot sitting a few steps or wavy lines to get off forehand 

*Rhythm throughout 

*Spiral circle out using inside seat bone forward joystick reins out

*Spiral circle in using counter bend-outside seat bone forward, outside bend, and joystick reins in then when off that shoulder move to a true bend half circle with loose inside rein

*Use that counter bent leg yield to get various straightness things resolved 

*Raised poles at walk 9’ apart, single pole at trot looking to end, riders job is rhythm and balance-add second trot pole soon


All in all I am super pleased with our progress and very grateful to have found SW, for dressagetraining.tv, and for the Pivo to keep me honest.  I hope to get in 2-3 more lessons before winter has us in her icy grip, and if we get to touch on canter this fall I would be really happy.  But not as happy as I was to get not one (not one!) sit up, sit back, or pubic bone up reminder from SW this lesson!

6 comments:

  1. Looking fantastic! And well done for having such a well adjusted baby off property!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY! It's step one of having him comfortable everywhere having him being relaxed at one facility. Many steps to go though!

      Delete
  2. You are both looking really good. I love how thoughtful your coach sounds. I also love that purple vest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another vote for the vest! Lol. It's so nice getting confirmation that what you're seeing in video is working and others can tell. Keep crushing it!

    ReplyDelete