Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Elbow Epiphany


Last week I had coffee with a dressage friend.  She is possibly riding at Equine Affair with JJ Tate.  Exciting for her.  I wasn’t really familiar with JJ other than Team Tate Academy video clips that occasionally pop up in my video feed.  I Internet stalked her a bit more and had a major epiphany after watching a short clip on the influences of the seat.  I would link to it(but darn it!) but I can’t find it again. 

Anyway the gist of the short video is that the seat from knees to top of head is our primary aid.  Ok, sounds familiar.  But JJ has some interesting explanations including that your elbows should be your seat bones, they should be at your sides not in front of you, and that you should ride with T. rex arms so that you truly ride primarily with your seat not your hands.

I watched this video and thought there is my leaning forward problem.  My elbows are in front/popped out from my upper body (see above) and I lean slightly forward to catch up with them.  I sat in my chair and went to my normal riding position and checked-my elbows were in front of my body.  I then gently pulled my elbows back to the middle of my side.  And my balance shifted.  And it was easy to sit up and even to go behind the vertical.  Hmmmm…

I then took my show on the road and tried it on Cruise.  And WOW what a difference.  His balance, over track, and energy were so much better.  His mouth is quieter, he is straighter, and I feel so much more secure in the tack.

 I’ve been struggling around as I implement this change.  It really has impacted how I use my whole body. It makes me truly use my seat because I can’t go to my hands. All from placement of my elbow!  Just crazy.

More soon about the details and hopefully some updated pictures when it warms up.







2 comments:

  1. So I'm sitting here in my chair playing with my elbows and it's really interesting! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete