Saturday, December 31, 2022

Year End 10 +1 +1 Questions

Blog hop via Raincoast Rider. 

What is your favorite accomplishment of 2022?
Getting Cruise really going under saddle.  Also, hauling out for lessons every couple of weeks during summer and fall.  Pushed my comfort zone a bit and really saw the improvements.

Was there an item you purchased in 2022 that was the best buy for yourself or your horse?
Definitely putting in my sand ring.  So large.  So level.  So useful in day to day training.

Favorite memory?
The first lesson I took with SW where I realized I really liked her teaching style and that she was someone I could work with.  Also those first few canter steps under saddle.  Also, also when I came home from vacation and Cruise was so obviously happy to see me.

Worst moment?
When I thought I might have to euthanize Jet because of his TMJ issues.  He’s currently in a good holding pattern with injections, acupuncture, and chiropractic and we will see what 2023 brings.

Favorite photo?


Something that impacted you this year?
SW suggested Dressagetraining.tv and it has been SO helpful.  It really translates Mary Wanless’s written work into something much more accessible.  And SW uses all the concepts in her teaching so everyone is speaking the same language.

Something you wanted to do this year that didn’t happen?
I really wanted to go to some schooling shows this year but as the summer went by(and my ring took forever to be installed hampering our ability to progress), I realized Cruise and I needed more lessons and more time in a controlled setting with other horses before we tried showing.  Also, I would have liked to gotten further with the canter before the cold set in.

Did you accomplish any of the goals you set for the year?
Finding a trainer.  Hauling out for lessons.  Practicing some nice Intro tests.  First steps of canter.  Ring built.  Horse trailer purchased.  Great home found for my kids’ pony, taking me to only two horses.  Barn renovation so Cruise has a triple stall and Jet has a double stall with a no touch turnout set up for house sitters.

Major goals for 2023? 
Schooling shows.  Don’t care about scores, just four feet in the ring, a good attitude, and a smidgen of focus from Cruise.  Keep improving the canter and  his focus on me, continue with clicker training some tricks, and possibly build some kind of trail obstacle course for him for mental engagement.

Any major plans or purchases for 2023?
I’m thinking of buying a new show bridle after our first successful schooling show and maybe upgrading a few worn out things.  Not much though.  My tightwad self is still reeling from the major purchases of 2022.  Love my ring and my trailer though.

+1 Three things for 2023
Gratitude practice every day.
Add more strength/core exercises to my 30 minutes of daily yoga.
Think about focus.  Mine. Cruise’s.  

+ 1 Gratitude 
After posting this I realized I left something out.  How grateful I am for the support of my husband.  When I asked a few years ago if he would mind the expense and the time it would take to try and get my Bronze medal he was all in.  Money.  Buying a quality horse.  A ring and a horse trailer.  Time spent moving fence lines and renovating.  Horse time cutting into our together time on the weekends(he works a lot).  He has been a rock and truly supportive of my crazy horse girl self all through our marriage. It’s our 29th anniversary today, and I am truly grateful to have him in my life.

4 comments:

  1. Happy New year! Your ring is perfect and so useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year and Happy Anniversary! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! The ring looks amazing and it sounds like you're hitting a lot of your goals and in a good place of being okay with the why behind not reaching others. Sometimes life happens and we just work on finishing them This year.

    ReplyDelete