Monday, January 9, 2023

Riding in Release by Kate Sandel


This is a really interesting little book.  The description speaks for itself and the reviews are fantastic.  I found it written in an easy to understand, flowing way with many appropriate quotations from the French Classical and the Vaquero/Buckeroo masters.  It is honestly the first clear, understandable explanation of the techniques of the French Classical School I have come across.  From the beginnings in Baucher, to the philosophical base, to the physical development of the horse, this little book covers it all.  It’s also amazing how much crossover there is with the Vaquero/Buckeroo School.

There is a lot of technical detail about release of the jaw, lateral bend, balance, and the thoracic sling echoing things I have come across before in Dressage Naturally and Connection Training but with a lot more theoretical underpinning and step by step direction.  It’s very clear and easy to implement.  I’ve been playing with some of the concepts and it’s been interesting how both horses have responded very positively, especially to the flexions which they seem to find very relaxing.  

What have you been reading, or viewing, that you’ve found useful lately?

4 comments:

  1. I picked up a Mark Rashid book that I think I want to save for a trip coming up but might tackle it sooner. That book looks interesting. The more I learn from well-grounded horse people the more I see similarities rather than differences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly-more similarities than differences! I've heard good things about Mark Rashid...

      Delete
  2. I need to go thru my collection and maybe read some of them again. I don't think I've ever gotten all the way thru Centered Riding once and I have CR 2 waiting for when I do. 👀

    I second the hearing good things about Mark Rashid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also heard good things about Mark Rashid. I have yet to get thru Centered Riding. I have the second one too. Maybe this year?

    ReplyDelete